At the age of 2, there are activities children like to do more than in previous age. It is so because their physical development have allowed them to do the activities. Here are the activities :
- Motor gross activities such running, climbing, reaching things make them curious, etc
They like to move freely because at this age, they have been able to walk steadily. This give them the sense of independence. Now, they can explore things they are curious about by themselves which they cant do before due to physical limitation.
- Exploring things they think interesting such as colorful & moving things
In the early years of life, a child is in sight sensitive period. It means, they will be interested to things which attract their eyes. As they’ve gained physical independence, they will expand their sight attractiveness by touching or exploring closely the things they see.
- Doing messy things such as painting, mixing flour, playing sand, etc.
They will do experiment with those materials with heir hands. Those activities will be messy because basically, they haven’t been able to control their hands completely. It’s also because they do experiment with their hands. They want to see the outcome of their hands movement.
- Imitating what adults do, especially words.
Children in the early years of life are in the stage of language sensitive period and in the imitating stage. Therefore, they are able to absorb the language they heard easily.
- Saying no often
They love saying no because they want independence to move freely. Therefore, they will say no, if we try to forbid them or when they think we block their way.
Those are the activities 2 years old children like most. It doesn’t mean that those activities are not done in previous age or later on. However, at the age of 2, those activities are delighting for them because they start able to explore those activities more independently than before (less help from adult). And this new sense of independence is actually what makes them like those.
Knowing what 2 years old children like will make us easy in preparing or setting activities our children can do in everyday’s life. By giving the activities they like and need, we actually have given them the opportunity or chance for them to develop their sense of independent which is very important for children’s development in the future.
Check out the activities 2 years old children can do in the next posting 🙂
Making craft is fun and a way to express our creativity. When we finish making craft, we feel the sense of satisfaction and eagerness to make more. That kind of feeling must be felt by children too when they make craft. But not only those, there are more. Children will learn and get many things in the process of making craft. What they will learn and get are:
- Learn to be a thinker
A craft begins from an idea which doesn’t just just come up out of nowhere. An idea comes from a thinking process. So when children want to make a craft, they have to think of ideas, not only what to make but also think of the steps how to make it. This thinking process which makes children become thinker.
- Learn to be a planner
A craft is not a craft if it’s not made. To make it, we have to think what materials we need, where to get those, how much material we need, etc. Those require plan. And by preparing the craft materials, children learn how to be a planner.
- Learn to be a problem solver
In the process of making craft, there are things which may not be thought of it before. Se we may have to adjust our idea with the situation during craft making. This requires us to act on the spot and think of another idea to make the craft the way we wanted. By doing it, we actually solve the problem we encounter. And children will experience this too when they make craft. That way they will learn how to solve problem and thinking fast to come up with new idea.
- Learn to be perseverance
As mentioned on point 3 above, in the craft making, things don’t always work as planned. There will be trial and error. This may test our patience and make us want to give up to finish the craft. But if we keep perseverance, eventually we’ll be able to make the craft as best as we wanted. When children experience this, they will learn how to persevere and not giving up easily to finish their creation.
- Expand their concentration span and endurance
It takes time to create craft from beginning till the end. During the process, children have to concentrate a lot. The longer they make a craft the more they have to concentrate. This requires lots of energy which will make them tired. But, as craft making is fun, they may not feel it. This actually makes them pass their own boundaries and their endurance will be strengthened.
Those are what children get in the process of making craft which will be good basic for other learning and in life.
So, let our children crafting! 🙂
A year has passed. There were many moments we’ve gone through. Moments that had made us feeling happiness and sadness, shaped our lives, made us the way we are now, and most importantly given us lessons to learn. The lessons will become a good foundation in this new year to face new experiences which will make us learn something new. Those we’ll make us never stop developing ourselves to be the best we can be. It’s something important to do because children will see it as an example to follow. By following our example, they will keep developing and growing to be the best they can be, too.
Those are what we’ve got from the passed year and what we can hope in this year. Now, we would like to say ,”Happy new year from Child’s Castle to you! May the lessons we’ve learned bring out new experiences in this new year which will make our children and us becoming the best we can be. Wishing you all good things in life. Have fun, joy, peace, love, care, luck and success ahead!”
Happy New Year 2017! 🙂
At the age of four, children’s fine motor muscles and cognitive skills have developed quite well. This will make them able to draw. If we show them simple drawing, they would try to follow it. Just as the pictures of Christmas Trees below which are easy to follow by children.
- Draw the triangle and say triangle while we draw it (This will be good to strengthen children’s ability in recognizing triangle)
- Draw the rectangle and say rectangle while we draw it
- Draw the circles and say circle everytime we draw it
- Color the pictures
- Draw a tiny triangle and say triangle while we draw it
- Draw lines as in the pictures above which create a Christmas tree
- Draw rectangle and say rectangle while we draw it
- Draw the circles and say circle everytime we draw it
- Draw the star and say star
- Color the pictures
- Draw a triangle and say triangle while we draw it
- Draw the trapezoids and say trapezoid everytime we draw it
- Draw the circles and say circle everytime we draw it
- Color the pictures
When children have finished drawing the trees, they would show us proudly of what they’ve drawn. If we encourage them to explain their drawings, they might add story to their drawings or add another drawings to the pictures such as the presents underneath the trees and much more.
All the activities above, start from drawing, naming shapes, coloring, explaining and creating story to the drawings will give advantages for children. They will be able to:
- Strengthen their fine motor skills
- Strengthen their shapes recognition
- Relate their real life experience with the drawings they’ve made
- Bring out their creativity by creating story based on the drawings or by adding more pictures to the drawings.
- Build their sense of achievement and confident as they’ve been able to follow all the steps and finally draw the picture they’ve seen.
With many advantages children can get, let’s ask children to draw. Show them many kinds of drawings which are easy to follow by them. Adjust the drawings with children’s ability. This way they would be stimulated to keep drawing which in the end will make them improve their ability even more.
Animals are always fascinating for children. When they see animals, they would be eager to interact and pet the animals. Doing it is good thing for children as they can learn to love and treat other creature well. And this learning will be a good basic to develop the feeling of empathy to all living thing. Empathy is an important ability children have to learn and develop because it will make them able to understand and share the feelings of another. When they are able to do this, they will be able to interact and socialize well in the society. Knowing the importance of empathy, we have to give chance for children to learn it. Having pet is a great way for children to learn the empathy. However, letting children to take care of pet is not easy. Having pet requires responsibility and it’s something children need to learn too. To make them understand the responsibility of having pet is by doing simulation. It can be done by playing the toy which allow them to take care a pet as if it’s the real one such as Hatchimals.
Hatchimals is a toy which comes in the form of egg. To be able to see the creature inside the egg, it must be hatched. To make it hatch, children have to love and care the egg by keeping it moving and rubbing it. It takes time (varied between 10 – 40 minutes) before it’s hatched. So, children have to be patience and keep interacting with the egg because if they do not do it, it won’t hatch.
Once the egg is hatched, the hatchimals will reveal itself. It will start the life from baby to toddler and the last to kid.
To make the hatchimals grows and goes through each stage of life, children have to fulfill it’s need. The eyes will show different colors which tell different need, for example: purple needs feeding, orange needs to burp, and many more.
As the hatchimals grows from baby to toddler, children can teach it to walk, talk and dance. It will keep bringing out the new ability as long as children keep interacting and taking care of the hatchimals.
All the process above that children will have been gone through by playing the hatchimals, start from hatching the egg until growing and developing the hatchimals into kid, is kind of simulation of how to take care of pet. By doing the simulation they will able to learn that to take care a living creature they have to be patience, love and care the creature, and most importantly they need to pay attention of the creature needs -which these are the realization of empathy and being responsible of living creature- otherwise it won’t grow and develop well.
So, the experience of playing hatchimals will be a good basic for children to learn about the responsibility of taking care of pet. More over, which is the most important, they will learn how to be patience, love and being empathetic as taking care of pet needs all of those.
Happy playing Hatchimals! 🙂
In part 2, it’s written that children once children have played the farm animal toy with variety pretend plays, they can get many advantages, which are:
- They get the complete knowledge about the farm animals.
- The pretend play will make children able to do the simulation of the knowledge they get. This simulation will make them understand the knowledge better than by reading or watching only. Because they do not only hear and seeing, but feel all the activities by doing it. The more stimulation they get, the more a knowledge will be grasped, kept in their memory storage in the brain and recalled easily when it’s needed.
- By doing the simulation, children also learn about the sequence of activities. Being able to arrange activities in sequence will be good for future learning such as in math, language art, science and many more.
- When they learn a knowledge from global to specific, they actually learn to dig deeper to get more knowledge. This will make them keeping and developing their sense of curiosity which will be good for future learning such as in developing research ability.
- Bring out their creativity in finding solutions to problems or situations
Those are the advantages for children. Yet, there’s another advantages we can get. It’s that the toy we bought for children will be useful in long term. Therefore, we need the toy that can last long. Wooden Wonders Busy Barnyard Farm Animal Set can meet the need as it’s made from the from natural wood. Wooden toys are usually last long, not broken easily, even when children throw or bump the pieces onto hard surface/ floor. So, children can use Wooden Wonders Busy Barnyard Farm Animal Set for years. Another great aspect which we can consider about it is the safety. It’s safe for children soft skin as the pieces are sanded smooth, and vibrantly colored with safe paints.
In conclusion, children can learn a lot about farm animal and get lots of advantages by playing the farm animal toy which one of it is Wooden Wonders Busy Barnyard Farm Animal Set. Hence, we need to guide them in the beginning of the play by setting the knowledge children need to know , prepare the props which will help children understand the knowledge and ask questions which will bring out children’s curiosity. These will make children get the complete knowledge about farm animals.
Happy Playing and Learning! 🙂
In previous post, we’ve given the example of how to play the Wooden Wonders Busy Barnyard Farm Animal Playset. The key to make children able to learn about farm animal by playing the toy is by setting the knowledge we want to introduce to children in the beginning of play. Once children have grasped and understood a knowledge, we can introduce them to another ones and create the new pretend play. Here are the tips of how to do it:
- Write down the list of knowledge we want to give to children. Always start introducing children from the basic knowledge and global to the complex and specific ones. For example:
- First we introduce the farm animals’ names.
- Then, we tell about the sounds.
- Later on, we continue with the food and drinks
- Next time, we can introduce the farm animals’ body parts. Do it by introducing each animal body parts one by one.
- Then, we can tell about what we can get from each animal such as egg from the chickens, the milk from the cow, the fur from the sheep, etc.
- Next time, we can tell the process of getting the egg, the milk, the fur, etc.
- And many more. It is so because the more we’re being specific about the farm animals, the more questions will be raised by children or even by ourselves. Those questions we can use to find out more about farm animal and we can simulate the answer of those questions in the pretend play.
- Always give the knowledge bit by bit. Too much knowledge at one time may make children confused. So, the examples in point above are better given in several pretend play.
- Set the knowledge we introduce suitable with children’s age and ability to absorb it. This way children will grasp it easily. For example:
- The knowledge goal for 2 and early 3 years old are the farm animal vocabularies.
- The knowledge goal for 3 years old are the recognition of farm animals body parts recognition, the food and drinks, the daily activities at the farm, etc. Stimulate also children to be able to simulate those in the pretend play which they would love doing as at this age they like playing pretend so much.
- The knowledge goal for 4 years old and above are more facts about farm animals. For example, we can tell about the life cycle of chicken, the reason why duck has membrane on their feet, etc. It’s possible for us to tell and explain more as children at this age have been more curious about everything outside their daily surrounding. Therefore, they would love to know more about farm animal and would ask many questions about it.
- As in the example in the Learning about Farm Animals through Pretend Play (Part 1), it’s better to write the steps we’re going to do in the play. This will make us guiding the play easily and not forgetting the goal of the knowledge we intend to introduce to children during the play.
- Always give and explain the knowledge in children language level. If the information we get from the books or from other sources we think is too difficult to understand by children, we have to change the explanation in language children would understand. However, it’s sometimes not easy to do. Here are the tips of how to make it easier to do:
- Use the books which are given the information that meant for young children. The language in those books usually has been leveled for young children. Just follow what’s written in the book and deliver it to our children through pretend play.
2.Browse the facts from the internet. Use the keywords ‘farm animals facts for kids’. The information we’ll get is usually explained in language level suitable for children. The same as the information we get from the books, we can just follow and deliver the knowledge to our children through pretend play.
- Be creative to make additional props we can use to the pretend play. For example, if we want to pretend shearing sheep fur, we can print the image of the sheep shear used in shearing sheep and prepare cotton (pretend it’s the sheep fur). This way children can do the play as similar as the real one. So, the concept will be understood well. It also will make the play more fun.
- Make the play more fun by creating situations which will make children stimulated and curious. For example, ask what happen with the farm animals when it rains, or when the snow falls down, etc. This will make children thinking of many possibilities. But, do not forget to find out what actually happen in those situations and simulate those in the play.
Once children have played the farm animal toy with variety pretend play, there are advantages they can get. What are those? Read about those in Learning about Farm Animals through Pretend Play (Part 3): The Advantages.