Book is printed media we can introduce to children since early age. Giving books matches with children development stages can be a way to improve their development. On this posting, I will explain about book types that are suitable for 2 years old children. Here are 5 book types, I often choose for my 2 years old students, with reasons why the books are suitable for them :
- Book with interesting, large and colorful pictures. Two years old children learn more through their senses. One of the senses is sight sense. Colorful pictures will attract their sight sense. When they are attracted, they would want to explore the book. Therefore, they can learn about things printed in the book. Example:
2. Interactive Books. These give 2 years old children opportunity to explore what they can do with their senses. There are kinds of interactive books. Here is the list:
- Touch and feel books. Giving this kind of book, makes 2 years old children able to learn about textures by touching them. The picture in the book will add the fun. Therefore, their touching sense will be stimulated in fun way which later on makes 2 years old children memorize the textures easily.
- Lift the flap books. Two years old children strive for independence. In this age, their physic have grown well. Therefore, they have been able to do gross motor skill activity steadier than before. This makes them want to explore things around them, not only by seeing but by touching as well. The lift and flap books can be used to fulfill the children’s need of exploring things. The book offers simple activity for them. They can open and close the flaps in it and find out what are behind the flaps. This simple activity can make them excited and want to do it over and over again.
- Books require children to do activities, for example zipping or buttoning. Two years old children love imitating words or activities said or done by people around them. By giving the book that can accommodate this behavior, they will be pleased. This also can be a good practice before they can do the real thing.
- Books with audio. These kind of books usually offer children story with audio whether it’s the sound of animals, the word’s pronunciation or songs. They usually love the sound because it’s attractive and entertaining. They also love following the sound comes out from the book. It can be a way for them to learn how to pronounce words well.
3. First words books. Two years old time is the time where children having language period sensitive. It means, their ability in absorbing language is in the peak time. They are in stage of sensitive to words. Therefore, it’s good if we give them books which can add their vocabularies. The themes can be vary such as things at the house, animals, plants, body parts, shapes, number, color, etc.
4. Story books. Story can help 2 years old children understand values that we want to teach to them. Choose story books which have more illustration than the story. So, children can understand the story that we read from the illustration as well. Pick themes relate with their daily life (such as about family, their favorite things, story related with themselves, etc) because they haven’t able to imagine things far away from them (haven’t able to think abstractly).
5. Books about daily life activities. These kind of books will make 2 years old children learn about things they can do. This can be a bridge before asking them to practice things they can do independently. Interesting pictures usually stimulate them to want to do the activities.
Those are the book types suitable for 2 years old children which are interesting for them and can be used to develop their abilities. There are two more tips related with books for them:
- For safety reason, pick the book made from thick paper such as cardboard. This kind of book will prevent children from being cut by the thin paper. Their hands are still delicate, so thin paper are still not suitable for them.
- Read the book for them. No matter how good the book is, it will be useless if we do not read for them. Yes, they can see the good pictures in the book, but without any explanation, those pictures won’t have any meaning for them. The book will give them knowledge only when they know what are inside the book. We are the one who is in charge in making the book meaningful and exciting for them. So, happy reading for your children 🙂