Gadgets have become important thing in our life, including our children’s life. There are many children’s gadget available in the market. Those have been designed to be safe and suit with children’s need. Hence, there are times when our children want to use ours instead of theirs because they may think that ours are more exciting. When this happen, it takes lot of efforts from us to explain to children why they can’t use ours.
To avoid this kind of situation, there are ways to make our children really engaged with their gadgets. The ways are:
- Give our children their own gadget since the first time we introduce gadget to them.
By doing this, they won’t instinctively make comparison between their gadget and ours. We actually may have introduced gadget to our children since they are baby, not literally of course. But in daily life, we often use gadget in front of them, showing video, playing music, taking picture, etc. So they see and eventually know that gadget is a thing used daily. A one year old may have known that he can see video he likes from a mobile phone. He may point to it when he wants to see the video and may ask us to play it for them. When our children start doing this, it’s about time to give their own gadget. Save all the videos and songs they like in it. As they grow older, save the games they can play only in their gadget too. Therefore, when they want to see the video, hear the songs, or play the games they like (only when they’ve grown older) they will use their own, not ours.
- Show them how interesting their gadget is by using the gadget in front of them.
Children are in the imitating stage. When they see how exciting we are using their gadget, they will love playing theirs and be as excited as we are. In order to do this, here what we can do:
- Playing the children’s game. This action can be the example for children how to play the game. And this will make them see that we love playing their game. This will make them want to play the game as we do.
- Watch child’s video in their gadget together! This will make our children feel proud of their gadget as we can only watch their favorite only in theirs.
- Show how to use all the apps in our children’s gadget. For example: draw in kids drawing apps. This action will make children want to do the same as us. Ask them to make many creation. Praise their creations. It’s better if we print them and hang on the wall. This will make our children feel being appreciated and eventually be eager to make more creations.
- Ask children to use the learning apps. Check their progress and praise for their achievement. This will make children know that we pay attention to their learning and feel encouraged to learn more by playing the educational games from their gadget.
Those are ways to make our children being engaged with their gadget. Therefore, they will want to use child’s gadget which are suitable and safe for them. Hence, those may work well for children under 5 years old. When they enter elementary school, there are other factors we have to consider about the kind of tablet children may use and how to stimulate children’s engagement with their gadget. Those will be discussed in the next posting.