There are many kinds of finger painting activity children can do. Here, we want to show the kinds of finger painting activity in steps. Starting from finger painting activity which will help children develop and improve their gross motor skills to fine motor skills and eventually allow them to bring out their own creativity. Here are the activity in steps:
1. Let children to spread paint on wide space freely, as wide as their arms can reach. This activity is good to exercise and strengthen their gross motor muscle, in this case their arms.
2. Let children to spread paint on narrower space than previous one. This activity will give them the chance to learn to control their arms movement and exercise their arms endurance, as it’s more difficult and more tiring to do.
3. Let children to paint pictures with fingers. Ask them to try not to cross the line. Starting from big picture to smaller one. This activity will give them chance to exercise fine motor muscles.
4. Let children to do many kinds of finger painting activity. This will give them the chance to exercise gross and fine motor muscles more and also give them ideas which will stimulate their creativity.
5. Let children create their own creation by finger painting.
Those are the steps in finger painting activity. It doesn’t mean that from the first up to the fourth steps children can’t make their own creation. The fifth steps can be done simultaneously with all the steps. However, we put it here on the fifth steps, as it would be the final outcome if children have gone through all the steps. It’s because they would have all the technique to do the finger painting, have enough experience and knowledge to make their own creation. All of those will make them stimulated and keen to make their own creation.