One of early vocabularies we often tell to children is animal, particularly farm animal.We read them books and show movies about farm animal. Therefore, they have basic information about it. There’s another activity we can give to children which will strengthen and add their knowledge about farm animals. The activity is farm animals pretend play using farm animals toy set. One toy set we can choose is Wooden Wonder Busy Barnyard Farm Animal Playset. It’s suitable for children age 24 month plus.
To make young children grasp the concept or knowledge related with farm animal, we have to guide them in the beginning of the play. To make us easy guiding them, we need to make some preparations. Here’s an example of the preparations and how to play Wooden Wonder Busy Barnyard Farm Animal Playset.
Things to prepare:
- Chalkboard or rolled paper on the wall.
- Print the images (browse and get the free print out images) which will complete the play and add more fun such as the meadow, the pond, the pig pen, the carrot garden, the vegetables (the pigs’ food), the grain and seed (These are the chicken food, but we can use the real grain and seed to make the play more fun).
The concept/knowledge goal:
- Farm animal vocabularies: cow, hen, rooster, dog, duck, horse, pig, rabbit, and sheep.
- Farm animal’s sounds.
- Farm animal’s food.
- The sequence of activities of the farm animals.
How to play:
- Prepare the Wooden Wonder Barnyard Farm Animal Playset in front of the chalkboard/roll paper.
- Put the meadow, the pond, the pig pen, and the carrot garden in front of the barnyard.
- Set the animals in the barnyard.
- Draw the morning sun on the chalkboard/roll paper. Then say,”It’s morning. It’s time for the rooster to crow.”(This way children know that the rooster crows in the morning)
- Move the rooster and pretend that the rooster crows.
- All the other animals wake up one by one.
- Make the sound of each animal: cows moos, dog barks, ducks quacks, hen clucks, horses neigh, sheep bleats. (This way children know the sound of each animals. They will definitely making the sound of the animals too).
- Then, move the farmers. Pretend they take each animal to the place where they will eat. The farm boy & the dog herd the cows, sheep and horses to the meadow. The farm girl takes the ducks to the pond, the hen to the front of the barn, rabbits to the carrot garden, and pigs to the pen.(This way children will know the eating place of each animal).
- Then, tell what the animals eat: ducks eat fish, hen and rooster eat seeds, cows, horses & sheep eat grass, pigs eat vegetables, rabbits eat carrot, dog eats dog food. (This way children know the food of each animal).
- Then, we can draw the sun set. We can say that it’s time for the animals to go back to the barn and go to sleep.
- Move the animals one by one to the barn and make their sounds as well.
- Once all the animals at the barn, we can draw the moon and the stars on the chalkboard/ roll paper. Therefore, children know that it’s night already.
- Repeat all the activities one more time. So children know that in farm animals’ daily life, there’s a sequence of activities they do: wake up in the morning-go to the feeding place-eat and drink-go back to the barn in the afternoon-go to sleep.
Those are the preparation and how to play the Wooden Wonder Barnyard Farm Animal Playset. The example would be suitable for children age 2 and early 3 years old. As children grow older or when they’ve been very familiar with the basic knowledge about farm animals, we can expand the knowledge and create the new pretend play. Check how to do it and what are the benefits children can get from the pretend play in Learning about Farm Animals through Pretend Play (Part 2): How to Expand the Knowledge We Introduce to Children
Happy Playing! 🙂